Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

November 4, 2008

Happy Voting

I voted today!

It's the first time I've voted. How horrible is that? I've never been very into politics. I just don't understand it very well, and anyone who knows me knows I don't like what I don't understand. I thought politicians were liars and I never saw my opinion mattering or making a difference.

But recently I've learned a little about politics and government. I took a couple of classes that changed my opinion and helped me realize that the more I learn about issues, the more I care. And that if we all got a little more involved, we really could make a difference. Actually, by doing anything, we have a large likelihood of influencing something, just because no one else is doing anything.

The problem is that now I care a little too much, I think. I get angry about political issues, about our lack of involvement, and mostly, about people's lack of understanding. I admit that most issues are very complicated, and there really is no definite right or wrong. I tend to by swayed by both sides as I hear about them, leaving me undecided in the middle, but very frustrated with people who strongly support a side they know little about. Maybe its because I'm unwilling to really study an issue and come to a conclusion; I just sort of waver and waffle about the "complexity" of it all. But when I hear people spout off about things, and how stupid people are for thinking differently than them, I get really angry. Obviously, the answer is not so straight-forward, or there wouldn't be a bunch of other people who disagree. Anything that people feel strongly about is at least worth looking into, isn't it? Or are we saying their opinion, their thoughts, are just unimportant and invalid, because they're different from ours? I have a lot to say about this, and I can't now because its late, but what I'm really saying is that I want to be politically involved, and then I think I shouldn't because I'm too easily riled up, because it makes me think unkindly about others and I don't like that.

I also don't like that despite resolute goals to be an "informed" voter, I didn't actually study any issues, didn't read up about any of the people I voted for except the president. I looked over their profiles in the packet I got, but felt confused and overwhelmed and unsure about what I thought, so I stopped reading and blindly voted. Ah shoot. I am that person I hate. Hmm. Good title.

On a hopeful note, I voted today. To make a difference. I don't know what difference I was aiming for. But there you have it. Baby steps, eh?

3 comments:

Lizi said...

I love your blog. I'm glad you voted, you always do make me proud :) Politics are hard for me to get excited about, I need you to light my fire! I'm just happy proposition 8 passed, whew. Let's play next week, yeah!

Johanson family said...

Shena-Beena! I can't believe I found you! I found your blog on Charity's blog. So how are you doing? I don't think I've heard from you since shortly after you got back from your mission. My blog is at http://beccamikey2002.blogspot.com. Check it out and keep in contact! I miss ya!
Love,
Becca (West) Johanson

Unknown said...

Switz I love your goals for the rest of the year. How long does the Corn Maze stay open? We can do it!!! And you are a square dancing guru! I felt guru-ed by you. PLUS I'm excited for our Christmas Dinner!!!! Oh PS, I got a list of Holiday Volunteer ideas for you. I should bring it to you, so I can see you. I'm making an apple pie pizza tonight, and you need to eat it with me.