Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

May 24, 2010

Dragon Training

I saw How to Train Your Dragon yesterday, all by my onsie. It was my favorite ever. I want a dragon. I want Hiccup. But I especially want to train for something meaningful. I have yet to decide if I am training to be a dragon, or be worthy of a dragon, but either way it means some intense training. So.

What it looks like:

1. Getting up at the crack of dawn, to watch the dawn, do yoga, and read scriptures.
(that's what it should look like. What actually happened today: Set alarm for 5:13, saw that it was raining and no dawn was apparent, and stayed in bed another hour. Then groggily got up to get ready for work at 6:30, no dawn, no yoga, no happiness. A blizzard instead awaited me.)

2. Battling the elements. I got hit with rain, snow, wind, sleet, mud, and sun today. I had to pack in this, drive in this, walk in it, wait in it, you name it! I felt like a real ninja.

3. Working 13 hours on my birthday. Not ideal, but a real warrior doesn't complain, doesn't shirk duty. I may have complained, but I didn't shirk. I didn't seek out more duty, but I didn't shirk the duty I had.

4. Running at 9 PM because I didn't do yoga in the morning. I wanted to be outside somewhere pretty, but I was hoping to catch the waning sunlight before it went down. Didn't have time, due to a stop at the cemetery to celebrate Wilford Smoot's birthday (100 years before mine)with flowers, so I I had to run in semi-darkness. Still wanted outside though, pretty, so I went to the bench trail thing on the mountain. That thing kills me when I'm in shape; my first time running in about a year it was maybe not the best re-introduction to the sport. But as I set off in the moonlight, I thought, a dragon warrior gains strength from the moon, and isn't afraid of hills and mud. So I ran, and ran, then walked some up a hill, then ran some more, etc. and it was pitiful in comparison to the old running days, but I felt strong and proud tonight.

Yoga tomorrow though.

5. Making things happen by sheer power of mind. I've been frustrated that I can't drive at work and felt that things needed to change. Today, things changed. They re-submitted my name for the insurance and for some inexplicable reason I passed. I drove out to my desert today and was able to drive back in alone, one of my favorite things. The freedom, the roads, delight. What shall I make happen next?

6. Humility, love, learning, scriptures, forgiveness, courage, discovery, these are all parts of the dragon training. I made a new blog to document the adventure this next year will be. Please check it out and offer comments, feedback, advice, what have you, all geared towards making me a fit dragon/dragon warrior/dragon haver.

http://onbecomingascientist.blogspot.com/

Namaste

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like that you said you saw it all by your onesie. It filled me with no end of joy.
I want a pet dragon.