Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

January 17, 2007

My Name


So I got the name "Dances Alone" when I was a missionary. There's not really an interesting story behind it; I just thought I'd explain. I love to dance. I have no training at all. When I was younger I was into power tumbling mostly, and made fun of most forms of dancing, although secretly I always wanted to do it. I loved figure skating because it was like the skaters could fly over that ice and express things that you just can't walking around. I wanted to find that way to express myself. So growing up the only form of dancing I did was a made up something I like to call "bag dancing." I would jump on my trampoline with a plastic grocery bag and swirl it around my head or jump over it or anything else I could think of. This was my expression.

Well, when I got to college I had a friend that introduced me to new types of dancing, and helped me to see that it wasn't as stupid as I thought. We took a modern dance class together, and that was the start of it all. I loved modern dance and decided I needed to expand my horizons. Since that day I've taken a couple modern dance classes, Polynesian, social, belly dance, and finally world dance. I love folk dancing. I still remember the dances I learned in class three years ago...because I still do them by myself at home. Well, all of these classes I took before my mission, and sometimes on my mission I would try to remember the folk dances I'd learned. The problem is your not supposed to dance on your mission. I think it was okay, and actually got permission from the president to teach some dances to the youth, so I think I was fine. But all of my companions and the elders around me knew that I loved to dance.

So one day my companion and I were in a correlation meeting, I think. A particularly boring meeting, where mostly we didn't need to listen when other people were talking. So we thought to spice things up a bit, we'd make up some names for ourselves. We had four names: a pioneer name, an old fashioned name, a cowboy name, and of course a native american name. I was Bathsheeba, Pearl, I can't remember the cowboy name, and my companion came up with the ever so clever "dances alone," for my Indian name, knowing I loved dancing and also couldn't dance with anyone as a missionary. And it stuck. My companions native american name was "Mighty Spear Chucker," while an elder thrilled us all with his name "Runs from Cats." And that's the story. Awesome.

As a side note, I've made a horrible, life-altering discovery recently. My couch is way more comfortable than my bed. I was sick over the weekend and spent the last couple of days on the couch. I mean entire days. And all that time was spent in very restful, comfortable bliss. Except for the being sick. Well, two nights ago I crawled into bed, hoping for a refreshing nights sleep before I had to go back to school, and you know what? I was miserable. My feet were cold and hanging off the edge of the bed, my neck hurt from my uncomfortable pillow, and I laid there for two hours without the remotest sensation of falling asleep. So I got up and went to my trusted couch seeking slumber. As soon as I laid down, warm and cozy, I realized this was a problem. I'd never doubted my bed before. I've slept on some uncomfortable beds, but I just kind of took it in stride. This time I don't know if I can forget. Last night I thought I'd give the bed another try, and it just wasn't the same. It's changed to me. Too short, too stiff, cold and unfriendly, I'm afraid there's no turning back.

No comments: